This is a summer community event to bring people together through the celebration of dance and to utilize our beautiful waterfront space. This event showcases talent, culture and choreography but also encourages full public participation. We want people to remember how fun and inclusive dancing can be! This project has three components
- Free instruction: Dance lessons in different styles for young and old, going on all day!
- Amateur Youth Dance Contest: Encourages groups of students to get creative and choreograph their own routines to be performed in front of an audience and guest judges. Must register beforehand and pay a $10 registration fee per group. Prize money to be won!
- Free All Ages Dance Party: After being inspired by so much talent, it’s time for everyone else to let loose and move to the music…..dance the night away….shake what your mama gave you……There will be a DJ, marquee and party lights to set the mood.
Project Location: New Westminster Quay
A day for …
- Performers to showcase their talents;
- Community members to connect;
- Nearby food vendors to do additional business;
- Local dance schools to promote their programs;
- Families to play together
- Everyone to get outside and have fun!
This event will also draw attention to the new 4th street elevator and walkway, as well as, Pier Park and the beach. People who wish to attend from outside New West can easily access the event from Columbia station.
We will be entirely funding this project with ONE Prize. The event is free to the public, which is very important to us and we will be relying on several volunteers to help make this happen. There is a small registration fee for the dance contest to ensure the groups are committed. This $100 or so will go directly back into the prize money. Approximate Project Costs:
DJ and P.A. System $400-$550
Marquee, table and chair rentals $400
4 Contest Prizes $200-$250
Advertising costs $100
Dance instructors will be paid an honorarium of $50-$100 each
Lunch for volunteers $50-$80